Scientific Drilling, sponsored by the International Ocean Discovery Program and the International Continental Scientific Drilling Program, is the open-access journal dedicated to the latest science and news from scientific drilling and related programs in the geosciences. The inaugural issue was published in 2005. Scientific Drilling delivers peer-reviewed reports from recently scientific drilling projects, reports on engineering/technical developments, workshops, and other news/updates from the community. Scientific Drilling is published by Copernicus GmbH on behalf of German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ).
A standard series of reports/publications are written by the science party for each IODP expedition and published by IODP Publication Services at Texas A&M University. IODP Publication Services also publishes Technical Notes, and maintains the searchable Scientific Ocean Drilling Bibliographic Database under a contract with the American Geosciences Institute (AGI).
Researchers using IODP samples and data once the moratorium period has passed are encouraged to publish their results in the peer-reviewed literature. They are requested to comply with the following guidelines from the IODP Sample, Data, and Obligations Policy:
- Submit a manuscript for publication, if possible, within 36 months after receiving samples.
- Include the words International Ocean Discovery Program or IODP in the abstract (or wording appropriate to the DSDP, ODP, or the Integrated Ocean Drilling Program).
- Acknowledge IODP in all publications that result from the data collected from samples received using the following wording: This research used samples and/or data provided by the International Ocean Discovery Program (IODP). Funding for this research was provided by _________.
- Provide the following key words, as appropriate, to the manuscript publisher: International Ocean Discovery Program, Integrated Ocean Drilling Program, Ocean Drilling Program, or Deep Sea Drilling Project name of drilling platform, Expedition or Leg ###, expedition or leg title, and/or Site ### (where ### is the cruise or site identifier).
- Notify the IODP curator of manuscript acceptance and submit complete citation information so the publication can be entered into the Scientific Ocean Drilling Bibliographic Database.